Thursday, February 4, 2010

Random

I've started reading Lonely Planet's "Cycling France: GPS Coordinates/119 Days/6000 km of Rides." This seemed like the closest I would come to the situation of being on my scooter . . . hopefully cluing me in to the roads I would be allowed or safe to use with respect to temperatures.

Here is some of what I have learned so far:
If one is planning to stay at a B&B in the country it is important to call ahead. If they don't have any reservations they might just pack up and take off, so I might find myself with no place to lay my weary head.

Emergency Numbers are all different in France.
National Emergency: 112
Ambulance (SAMU) ("There is usually somebody on staff who speaks English."): 15
Police: 17
Fire: 18

Even bicycles are not allowed to ride down a one way street the wrong way unless there is a bicycle path. It is illegal (I have a feeling that will count for me too).

Okay, I'm going to cut to the good part. It is recommended that in the country one be cautious about roaming dogs and PIGS. I swear I read that correctly. Sure, I get it about dogs, but PIGS? I have to watch out coming over the top of a hill, because there might be a few PIGS just STANDING THERE! Random pigs! I don't know what to do with this information! It is both scary and amusing, and I have told quite a few people about it. Then a couple days ago, my brother tells me, "Oh yeah, right out there by you that happened, a German Shepherd grabbed a small pig and darted into the street in front of a Harley guy and totaled the dude's bike."

Image courtesy of AP


Apparently, this is a local problem I was unaware of, not just a French one. I still don't what to make of Random Pigs, regardless of where they might appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment