Saturday, March 13, 2010

Tidbits

Sometimes I don't want to post a blog if I don't have one big thing to say. But people have encouraged me to let you know what is up when I just have tidbits or fragments. So here are today's fragments...

For the last six weeks my knees have been hurting, the right worse than the left. I couldn't figure out if it was the elliptical, some residual issue from my scooter wipe-out last summer, or the most scary possibility: that my lack of abdomen had worn my knees and lower back out. I finally got in to see the orthopedic doc a couple days ago, and the prognosis is good. My knees are in great shape and only my cartilage is swollen and annoyed. He prescribed icing three times a day and some naproxen for a month. He also suggested PT, but I suspect that they won't be able to help me, given all the physical limitations that my reconstructive surgeon has placed on me. Regardless, I am so so happy. I was concerned that another major system of my body had given out. That it is only a minor issue, is a tremendous relief.

As a result, I haven't worked out in a week. This means I haven't lost weight, either (grrr), and I'm nervous about how much territory I may have lost. I'm going to get back on the elliptical in another two days and we will see how many minutes I'm able to exercise. For the record, I was doing 20 minutes of low-grade interval training when I left off, in addition to yoga a couple times a week (a very modified-for-injured-people yoga).

Two more cool books arrived to assist me in my planning efforts:

The other news is that on Tuesday, Michael and I are bopping up to Fox Vespa in Grand Rapids to give the MP3 250 a spin. Let's pray we don't get another snow storm or buckets of rain on Tuesday. The suspense is killing me. Oh, and if I am going to be giving it a spin, I need a helmet that wasn't compromised from my spill last summer, so I picked up a fresh one and it is girlie. I know, I'm surprised too.
2009_Shark_Womens_S650_Ikebana_Helmet_Matte_White_Blue_Blue
My accountant suggested that we make a list of everything we think we are going to need to spend money on related to the trip. We want to get a grip on the expenses in advance. There are a couple of expenses for which we hope we can find sponsors.

I made a list of some of the potential practice destinations for this summer and their requisite mileage (Toledo, Minneapolis, Detroit, and a few others).

That wraps up some of the tidbits for the last few days... more soon, hopefully with pictures of me on the MP3!

5 comments:

snayl said...

Honestly, I don't think the helmet is girlie (girly?) at all. I quite like the sort of psychedelic, monochromatic theme and patterns. If it had a bunch of Hello Kitties on it (Helloes Kitty?), *that* would be girlie.

I'm just worried that once you start milling around France ON FOOT, that you'll never make it back to the boring ol' Swamp House with its monoglot inhabitants.

Reconstruction: First a Body, Then a Life said...

I'll make it back. That is why they call it, "Home SWEET Home."

Unknown said...

Anything that says "SHARK" in capital letters across your forehead is girlie in the supergirl girlie kind of way. You know, the kind that comes with your favorite two superpowers.

Good news about the knees!

Reconstruction: First a Body, Then a Life said...

This message was emailed to me from an enthusiastic supported that would like to remain Anonymous:

Oh My! Ara, you are such an one!

I have been in shock hearing about your plans and what you have to go through to achieve them. Your "can-do" attitude (sorry about that cliche) has inspired me to stop bemoaning my current conditions and get on with my life too and I thank you for that.

I certainly am glad to hear your Michael is so supportive for you on this adventure. I'm not quite sure if I understand weather or not he is going with you??

I hope you get that book published--it will be such an inspiration to so many people.

I love the thought of you having an in helmet camera/mic. You'll be just like those race car drivers.

Do you know my son made me a driving tape once--he must have been in middle school or early H.S. I was (and am) a very timid driver and I needed help driving over the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron when I went on a road trip to visit a friend in Buffalo, NY. (I drove through Canada.) He taped some tracks from Star Wars, and Star Trek. I would pretend I was in an Xwing fighter and crank up the music quite loud and somehow it managed to quell my apprehensions enabling me to navigate the bridge without incident.

I will imagine you to the tune of the Olympic Theme Vespa-ing your way across France!

Reconstruction: First a Body, Then a Life said...

I've had a number of questions this week about whether or not I'm doing the trip in a group or solo and yes, I am doing it solo. Michael will be supporting me state-side. I will be in contact with cell phone, satellite phone and laptop.

When I was in Paris in '06 the French were amazingly helpful and kind and I was much sicker back then, so I think I'm going to be in good shape. In my current life my husband and close friends know my needs so intimately that they do everything before I ask which is awesome, but this can also feel overwhelming sometimes. In France, I will only get the help I ask for and this will have its own stresses, but will also be liberating.

So, I won't be alone, I will have you with me, Michael and the people of France. And for those of you who know me I pretty darn resourceful, so I think I will be okay.

Post a Comment